RVM in OpenIndiana revisited
28 February, 2012
Posted by on
I just went through the process of setting up RVM from scratch in a zone in OpenIndiana. I wrote previously about the gnu path problem, but didn’t write down any of the OpenIndiana dependencies. They are:
To install RVM, you will need:
- curl certificates installed into /etc/curl/curlCA (not installed by default in a new zone)
- The following packages are required to install rvm:
# pkg install archiver/gnu-tar text/gawk text/gnu-grep pkg:/sfe.openindiana.org/developer/versioning/git`
Note: This requires adding the “SFE” (Spec Files Extra) repository as a known publisher. If this is already set up in your global zone then the new non-global zone should inherit it.
- Set the PATH environment variable to include `/usr/gnu/bin` at the front, i.e.: in .bashrc
Building Ruby 1.8.7
You will additionally need the following packages installed to build ruby 1.8.7 using rvm:
# pkg install runtime/gcc text/gnu-patch developer/library/lint system/header system/library/math/header-math file/gnu-coreutils`
Installing Ruby Enterprise Edition also worked for me. But it’s installer requires another ruby to be installed first.
So far the following rubies / gems have had problems:
- Ruby 1.9.3 does not build correctly. (1.9.2 does, though) See the illumos bug tracker: https://www.illumos.org/issues/1587
- Passenger gem installs, but apache module fails to compile.
So it’s not yet a perfect world